Monday, December 13, 2010

Bed Time Shmed Time

Tonight my mom tried putting me to bed at 8 o'clock.  Yeah.  That's my quote-unquote bed time.  I saw it coming a mile away.  She capped me off for the night and had the lights all low.  Then she hummed while filling up the tubber.  I admit I do like taking that hot soak at night.  And then mom puts really luscious Burt Bee's Baby Bee lotion on me.  Mmmmmmm.  It smells SO good!  I get to put on my warm fleece jammers with feet built in.  My mom snuggles me.  This is the life. 
But then the woman lays me in my crib and walks out.  That, I would not stand for.  I did the only thing that came to my mind.  I screamed.  I'm not exactly sure how long I screamed because I don't know how to tell time yet- but it seemed like a while.  My mom came in and held my hand.  Held my hand?  What's that supposed to do?  Give me a hint that you like me or something?  C'mon we're not in junior high here- I'm your baby!  But it was nice to see her.  She always makes me smile... even when she does something off the wall like holding my hand.  I sorta slipped into a trance.  My mom was humming and I felt myself dozing off.  The next thing I knew, mom was gone!  I was alone!  AGHHHHHHHH!  SCREAM!  WHERE ARE YOU MOM!  Can I tell you I was shocked by how long it took her to respond to my cries?  Shocked.  When she finally came in she tried the old hand-holding again.  I wasn't falling for that again.  I gave her my best, loudest, longest, cries. I even managed some tears.  She caved and picked me up.  Hehehehe.  She let me nurse.  That always calms me down.  But, as a little payback for letting me scream so long... I did a big bambam... in my diaper.  Well it was supposed to stay in my diaper.  But I got lucky and it went out of my diaper, through my onesie, and onto my dinosaur pajamas.  More mess equals more time out of the crib, yes! I got all cleaned up.  All fresh.  And then she laid me down again!  I was certain that being all clean would mean we could play!  I cried some more.  Freedom of speech, right?  After a real long stretch of crying she came in.  She whispered, "It's 10:45 little buddy.  Go to sleep."  Did she think those were the magic words or something?  Pa-lease.  Just because you designate a time to mean bed time doesn't mean it is.  She walked me around my room for a bit.  For a long bit.  Sang some Neil Young.  I like when she sings Neil Young's Harvest Moon.  She hums all the parts where there aren't any words.  It's nice.  Soothing. She'll sway too.  I fell asleep on her shoulder. 

Dumdadum Dadum Dum Da Dum
Dumdadum Dadum Dum Da Dum
Because I'm still in love with you
I wanna see you dance again
Because I'm still in love with you
On this Harvest Moon....

4 comments:

  1. Your mom has totally made me into a Neil Young fan. I should download his songs to my imaginary iPod. You silly boy; you interrupted her phone call with me! For that, I might have to give you a little tickle torture the next time I see you. I want to see you laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky your mom comes into the room when you cry. I let my baby cry it out, unless his brothers are in the room. Then he does get his way and gets a bottle and snuggling time. Or I put him in the swing to fall asleep. You've got a good mom, Kole!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crying gets me every time. Your cousin, Greta, used to try that and I would always cave! Now she just talks and goes to sleep. Soon you'll appreciate some alone time to meditate before bed. I hope. And your mom hopes too. She needs that koley, YEESH!

    ReplyDelete