Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Level 5




A week ago if you would have asked me the secret to getting attention in the middle of the night- I would have stuck to my original claim that I am THE pro.  I would tell you that no baby knows better and that my tactics were fail-proof.   Binky-Back Guarantee.  I'd let my buds Jay-Z and Rihanna tell you Who Gonna Run This Town Tonight.. We are.  Yeah I know dat We Are!

But my fellow curtain crawlers. I've lost my touch.  Something has forever been changed in my crib.  I've been pulling out all the stops.  And, sadly, I've lost my touch. It started two nights ago.  Mom tried putting me down for bed around 8:30.  As smart as my mom is- I have to say I know myself better than she knows me and I felt like I could have stayed up a little longer.  At least until 9.  C'mon I'm 5 months old now.  I'm not a baby.  So I started the usual routine.  Talking.  I let a few Nananana's and some Mwamwamwa's.  Nothing.  Maybe some spurts of crying would work.  I tried it.  Nothing.  I wasn't feeling deterred so I went on to step three- prolonged crying.  This is where I try to cry non-stop for as long as I can.  It's not loud or necessarily piercing- it's just an alert.  In the past this is all it takes to get a little TLC.  This time...No response.  At all!  What was going on?  I hated going to step four but mom was leaving me no choice.  I screamed.  Loud.  I tried to make it sound like I was in pain.  Or hurt.  Or really really super scared.  I must have screamed 5 times.  I waited for my door to open.  For light from the hallway to come in and for my mom to pick me up, apologize for making me lay miserably in my crib, and take me to the living room to watch a movie and snuggle with her.  My wait was in vain.  My screams were in vain.  No one came. 
I had never gone all the way to 5 before. 
Never. 
I never had to!  Mom normally came in at 2!  But- I couldn't hold back.  She had pushed me to my limit.  I let out number 5.  I transformed into a full on crying, screaming, thrashing, rolling, maniac.  A tantrum?  No no no.  This was beyond tantrum.  This was necessary.  I gave her all I had.  In fact, I didn't even know I had that in me. 
It was sensational.  Beyond anything I've done before.  I don't see the need to brag but mom did come in.  She came in.  It was magical.  Her smell.  Her smooth skin.  Her smiling face.  I couldn't help but smile back.  And as soon as I did... the magic was gone.  The spell broken.  She gave my hand a little tiny squeeze and out she went. 
I've lost my touch.  She didn't come back.  I couldn't last long.  I was really sleepy.  I dozed off within minutes.  I'm not broken though.  I've still got fight in me.  But as far as being the pro.  The baby with all the answers?  I'm not feeling that anymore.
Unless.....

Unless I devise a new plan.  Yes.  A new plan for mommies to come in.
Don't worry babies!  I'm on it!

3 comments:

  1. Kole are you teething? Max went through a similar phase and we (his parents) blamed it on teething. We would go in and rub Orajel on his gums, stick in a binky, and Max would settle right down and fall back asleep.
    Give your Mommy a break at night and get yourself some good zzzz :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kole you are a smart one!! I love reading your adventures! You are such a cute kiddo and i just want to snuggle you! You are lucky to have such great parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it might be some teethies coming in, little man. I'm proud of your mom for sticking to her guns.

    ReplyDelete